There are multiple and varied oral appliances available. They are all custom fit to your mouth and facial structures and we ensure that the fit is accurate. Every device is thin like a retainer and it allows you to talk, drink, and move your jaw while it is in your mouth. Based on your individual needs, Dr. Sever will determine the most appropriate model for you.
If you snore and/or have been diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea, then you have a few treatment options to choose from. The CPAP Machine is a common treatment option. This is a bedside machine with breathing tubes that blows air into your nose and mouth to keep your airways open. Another popular option is an Oral Appliance, which is a thin custom fit mouth piece. It fits like a retainer and it works by supporting your lower jaw in order to keep your airways open while you are sleeping. The last option is Surgery, which is generally recommended only as a last option.
For those who have been prescribed a CPAP Machine, and cannot or do not want to sleep with it, the Oral Appliance is the perfect alternative option. Here is a comparison of the two devices:
- Hoses connect machine to your face
- Periodic hose replacements are necessary
- Air filter/humidity filter requires maintenance and replacement
- Not recommended for patients with claustrophobia
- Skin irritation may be created by the face mask
- Sleeping body position is limited due to importance of mask seal.
- Must be examined by airport security
- Sound / look of machine may have an impact on bed partner
- Effective if used every night and all night
- Custom fit to your mouth
- Eliminates snoring
- No replacement parts needed
- Not disruptive for your bed partner
- Scientific studies validate the effectiveness of oral devices for most cases of sleep apnea.
- Effective because it is often preferred by patients
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
One of the principal functions of sleep is to clean up and detoxify our bodies, minds and brain from the demands of the day.